Machst Spaß! Machst schnell!

Role playing, board games, programming, and maybe occasionally political opinion

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

MassTest and Giving Back

First of all, I’m pretty pleased right now with my MassTest extension to the Test::Unit library for Ruby. I really need to add it as a gem, or something, because I think it would probably be useful for purposes beyond testing web sites – my original use case.

As an aside, while coding for Test::Unit, I’m not entirely sure that it’s approach is necessarily the best one. Because of it’s TestCase-is-class philosophy – and by dropping the JUnit TestSuite-is-a-TestCase paradigm – it’s a bit on the tetchy side to extend. I want to incorporate it, and if it’s similarly annoying, I may be compelled to produce a competing package.

There are a couple of features I’d like to add to MassTest, and I don’t want to forget them. Quicky listy:

  • Include directory – This is kind of a general thing I want to do in Ruby in general. I want to scan a directory, load and .rb files I find, and add any MassTestCases I find into the current Suite.
  • Coverage – I’d really like to have some kind of automated way to determine what the actual domain of a set of tests ought to be, and then to determine if I hit them all.
  • I also would like to see about making the web related tests I’m doing be more robust – I think I probably ought to push off redirects until the actual tests, and I’d love to be testing content somehow.
  • Which does suggest memoization as a general feature. It might be nice to be able to record data in the course of a test, and then check against it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home